Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Why am I exhausted after some classes but not others?

Scenario 1 - I taught a Chinese Brush Painting class to two sixth grade classes today as a guest artist.  There were lots of set up and tear down so I ended up there from 9:45-3:00pm.  The kids were lovely and helped me set up and clean up.  The two sessions were 80 minutes long and I was "on" the whole time.  They loved the class and I received lots of hugs afterwards.  I felt rewarded but I was and am exhausted.

Scenario 2 - I taught as a substitute in a sixth grade classroom where I had a regular scheduled day yesterday.  The morning was fabulous with the kids engaged and productive during instruction AND independant work time.  The afternoon was OK too until the last hour.  During the instruction (explaining using background knowledge to formulate topical questions for expository prose), the kids just would not stop talking.  I took forever to settle down to quiet so I can be heard and then it would not last more than a few minutes.  It took so long to get through the lesson and they ended up with no independant work time. 

This happens somewhat regularly where the last hour of the day was  much more difficult than the rest.  My theory is that the kids know you won't be back the next day and can mess around some more.  After all, the sub no longer have recess to keep them in or be less likely to send them to the office as it was the end of the day.  Sure they can tell the teacher but that is tomorrow which doesn't impact them today.  Although I had mostly a great day, the last hour exhausted me.

Scenario 3 - Medium days classroom where  it was OK all day with slight ups and downs in behavior.  I go home not exactly refreshed but definitely not exhausted.

I wonder what other teachers do to have good days consistently without feeling exhausted. 

No comments:

Post a Comment